Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any more questions that are not answered on this page, please don't hesitate to contact us!
  1. How do I become a member?
  2. What do I need to bring with me?
  3. What equipment do you have?
  4. What are your rates?
  5. How do I obtain a health certificate?

How do I become a member?

  • Completed membership packet
  • Business liability insurance listing East Side Community Kitchen as additional insured
  • ServSafe certificate
  • Application fee
  • Business plan
Once you have completed the above, we will schedule a time to meet with the Lancaster Health Department to complete your city health license. Make sure to read up on the rates information too.

What do I need to bring with me?

Most of the equipment you will need to prepare your food is right here at the kitchen. We do ask that you bring your own ingredients, proper hair restraint and gloves, disposables, and food storage containers. We also request that every once in a while you bring paper towels and garbage bags to help keep costs low. We are a community kitchen, and everyone contributes!

What equipment do you have?

  • Two convection ovens
  • Two walk in refridgerators
  • Ten burner gas range
  • Meat Slicer
  • Ample prep space
  • Various cooking utensils
  • Several large pots - up to 80 quarts
  • Mixing bowls
  • Full and half sheet pans
  • Many speed racks for drying or cooling
  • Linen Service

What are your rates?

  • First tier is $250/month for up to 15 hours per month
  • Second tier is $450/month for up to 32 hours per month
  • Third tier is $750/month for up to 64 hours per month
  • Fourth is $1000/month for up to 90 hours per month
  • Final tier is $1600/month for unlimited usage
Contracts are to be evaluated and adjusted every six months. Hours accumulated over selected tier will be billed at $20/hour. Membership dues are collected via automatic withdrawal. Credit or debit card required.

How do I obtain a health certificate?

If you're just preparing food for yourself or for your family and friends, you do not need a health certificate. If you plan to sell the food you prepare here, then you are required to obtain one. Upon completion of membership requirements, we will schedule an appointment with the health department to obtain proper licenses.

Take the ServSafe Food Handler's License test (NOT the manager's test) either online, or at a location convenient to you.